October 2018 Newsletter
Welcome to The Complex’s 14th season of performing and creative arts education in Putnam! We have had such a great time over our first few weeks of classes and can’t wait for the rest of the year. Our faculty is inspired by the creativity and determination we have seen so far from our students. We want to thank you, the parents, for trusting us to help your kids access and shape their creativity!
Things you should know:
- We will send out a monthly newsletter at the beginning of each month. This is our main method of communicating our scheduled events with you. If you don’t receive a newsletter, check with the front desk. We will keep extra copies at the information board.
- Information Board: You will find upcoming dates and information on the big chalkboard in the lobby. On the board, we will keep extra year schedules and printed monthly newsletters.
- Tuition is always due on the first calendar day of the month. If you are making bi-monthly payments, tuition is due September, November, January, March, and May. If you are on a monthly schedule, tuition is due September through June on the first of the month. Tuition is not calculated on a weekly fee, but a total program fee; if you choose to miss a class, your tuition will not change but you are more than welcome to make up your class in another appropriate class.
- Attendance is very important. In order for us to give you the best possible performing and creative arts education, we expect you to be present at all classes.
- We expect all students to adhere to our dress code. If you have questions about what your child should be wearing to class, check at the front desk.
- Arrival for class:
- •All students must sign in
- •Students should leave their belongings at the cubby area. Older students may use the student alley behind the stage and younger students will use the cubbies under the window on the left side of the lobby. Students needing to change for class should do so in the vault behind the stage and then use the restroom after they have changed, so all students have a chance to change and be ready for class.
- •Be ready for the start of class time
- •Please respect our facility; no running, yelling, or loud behavior in the lobby while you are not in class.
- •Departure from The Complex:
- •Take all belongings with you and discard any trash
- •Put away any books or toys you have taken out
- •All students must sign out. Students over 13 may sign themselves out with parent permission.
- •Students should be picked up promptly after their class ends.
- You may have noticed some new faces around The Complex this year. We are excited to welcome back Alexandra Plucenik, former student and faculty member. Alex is excited to begin her new venture as Artistic Director this year at The Complex. Alex holds a degree in Dance from Rhode Island College and comes with years of experience and passion for the arts and The Complex. We are also welcoming back Katie Lusa to our staff. Katie was a student at The Complex, before receiving her degree in Arts Administration. We also have a new private music instructor, John. John teaches private lessons on Mondays in guitar, ukulele, and piano.
- This is our new email address! Please send all future email correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Youth Ballet Company, Dance Theatre Company, and UMTE students will be selling Kansas Maid Braided Pastries as a fundraiser from October 12 to October 26. Proceeds will go to producing our dance and theatre productions. Orders will be delivered in time for Thanksgiving.
- Saturday, December 1 at Eagle Hill School in Hardwick, MA at 7:30PM
- This year, we were asked to bring our production of Michael Bolger’s NUTCRACKER on tour to the Cultural Center at Eagle Hill School as a part of their season!
- Tech will take place during the day on Saturday the 1st at Eagle Hill, time TBA
- Saturday, December 8 at Woodstock Academy’s Center for the Arts at 7:30PM
- Tech will take place during the day on Saturday the 8that the Center for the arts, time TBA
- Raffle Baskets
- At the Woodstock Academy performance, we will be selling tickets to win raffle baskets. All ballet company members are asked to donate items based on the theme their level has been assigned: Level 2-3 are creating a “gift wrapping” basket, level 4 is creating a “cozy” basket, level 5 is creating a “sweets” basket, and level 6-7 is creating a “local business” basket. Please bring in items for the raffle baskets no later than November 29.
Upcoming Calendar Events:
- October 5 – First Friday on Main Street. Streets close at 3PM and festivities start at 6PM.
- October 8 – Columbus Day, no classes scheduled
- October 16 – Level 4/5 Ballet Company parents meeting at 6:30PM
- October 17 – Level 2/3 Ballet Company parents meeting at 5:30PM
- October 26-27 – The Complex presents The Rocky Horror Show at the Bradley Playhouse Friday at 8PM and Saturday at 8PM and 12AM
- October 31 – Halloween, no classes scheduled